Bharatanatyam Dancer, Tamil Nadu, India
Smt. Vanishree Ravishankar is the daughter of Sri. M. K. Ramesh, educationist and Smt. M. Jayalakshmi Ramesh, sangeetha vidushi, and the granddaughter of late Sri. Muliya Thimmappaiah, the famous Kannada literary giant.
Having started learning Bharathanatyam at the age of 12 under Guru late Sri. M. Janardhana of Kalaniketan, Mangalore, her Arangetram took place in 1985 in Mangalore and she was also successful in Govt. of Karnataka’s Junior Grade Special Exam. At that time, she had over 20 performances in Madikeri, Mangalore, Mysore and B.C. Road to her credit.
In 1988, she came to Chennai and joined ‘Pradhakshina’ in Adyar for delving deeper into the various facets of Bharathanatyam under Guru Smt. Savithri Jagannatha Rao, who is a direct disciple of late Smt. Rukmini Devi Arundale, the founder of Kalakshetra, Chennai.
Smt. Geetha Gopinath of Kalakshetra taught her the theory and Guru Smt. Savithri taught her Nattuvangam and she is still under her guidance since 1989. She is now learning Abhinaya from Smt. Bragha Bessel.
She has also learnt Carnatic classical music from her mother and also from late Smt. Padma Narayanaswamy, Chennai.
She can also write reviews, in either English or Kannada, for Dance and Music concerts, for websites, journals and magazines.Shows & Major Performances
- She has given numerous Bharathanatyam performances and attended workshops, some of which are detailed below.
- Performance at Madikeri on 29.10.’93, under auspices of ‘Pradakshina’, attended by an audience of around 1000 people.
- Performed in the prestigious Natyanjali Festival, Chidambaram in 1994.
- With Dr. Vyjayanthimala Bali in a dance-drama called ‘Chandalika’, (by Gurudev Tagore) in New Delhi, attended by the then President Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma and the former CEC Mr. T.N.Seshan; amongst other distinguished guests and audience, in December 1995.
- ‘Chandalika’ was repeated in Narada Gana Sabha, Chennai in January 1996.
- In Chennai, January 1996, under the auspices of TANSTIA-FNF Service Centre with German Collaboration.
- In Tiruvallur and Chennai, in March 1995, as part of the inauguration programme of DCM-Hyundai companies collaboration.
- In Thiruvananthapuram and Ernakulam, in September 1997.
- Performance in Madikeri on 3.3.1996 under Field Marshall K.M.Cariappa Trust.
- Took part in Lec-Dem of Abhinaya conducted by Guru Smt.Savithri and Smt. Kalanidhi Narayanan, organised by Natyarangam Trust of Narada Gana Sabha, Chennai.
- Performance under the auspices of Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan, Madikeri on 4.2.2006.
- Performance under the auspices of Ganabharathi, Mysore on 6.2.2006.
- Performance under the auspices of Kerala Tourism Dept, at Thiruvananthapuram on 5.3.2006.
- Performance under the auspices of “ Natyarangam “ of Narada Gana Sabha Trust, at Chennai on 20.5.2006 and 21.5.2006.
- Performance at Shri Krishnapura Mutt Paryaya, Udupi on 3.11.2007.
- Performed under the auspices of “Gana Mukunda Priya” during Navarathri 18th Sept 2009 at Narada Gana Sabha Mini Hall, Chennai.
- Performed under the auspices of “The Mylapore Fine Arts Club”, Chennai on 2nd Dec 2009.
- Performed under the auspices of “Sri Parthasarathy Swamy Sabha” on 10th Feb 2010 at R.K.Swamy auditorium, Mylapore, Chennai.
- Choreographed “Ashtalakshmi Vaibhavam” for Sri Sankara School, Adyar, Chennai with 15 children in March 2010 at Music Academy.
- Performed under the auspices of “Kartik Fine Arts” on 21st Oct 2010 at Narada Gana Sabha Mini Hall, Chennai.
- Performed at Tirupathi on 29th Oct 2010.
- Performed under the auspices of “Sri Kapali Fine Arts” on 9th Dec 2010 at R.K.Swamy auditorium, Mylapore, Chennai.
- Performed under the auspices of “Gana Mukunda Priya” during 6th Jan 2011 at Dakshinamurthy Auditorium, Mylapore, Chennai.
- Performed at Mamallapuram on 7th Jan 2011 at the India Dance Festival conducted by the Tamilnadu Tourism Dept.
- Performed at Sri Krishna Gana Sabha on 14th December 2011.
- Performed at the Thousand Pillar Hall at Chidambaram Natarajar Temple in March 2012
- Wrote reviews on the Music concerts in December 2010 for Kartik Fine Arts website.
She also owns a dance school “ Natya Samarpanam “ in Chennai, with Indian and foreign students.
Smt. Vanishree Ravishankar
M 53/3 (New #. 7), First Main Road,
Besant Nagar, Chennai – 600 090.
Phone No: +44.3292.1098
Mobile No: +91.99623.29135