Bharatanatyam Dancer, Tamil Nadu, India
Shobitha answered her calling to Bharatanatyam at a tender age of five when she came under the tutelage of the renowned Guru Nritya Choodamani Smt. Krishnaveni Lakshmanan. Having moulded as a dedicated and discipled dancer by various teachers like Padhmini, Neela Sukhanya, Mahalakshmi, Annapoorani and Rajesh, Shobitha completed her arangetram in 2001 under the able guidance of Yuvakala Bharathi Smt.Gayathri Balagurunathan (Daughter and disciple of Krishnaveni Lakshmanan)
Combined with a tall frame, agile footwork, poise and aesthetic appeal, she has proved her talents in this art form ever since her arangetram. Shobitha has taken part in all the dance productions of her Gurus which has enabled her to mature as a talented artist. She has performed widely in many festivals and competitions in India and abroad adding laurels to herself. She also has a wide experience with famous dance teachers namely Smt. Ambigai S. Buch Director 'ARADHANA' , Smt. Radhika Shurajit (Thrayee Foundation), Smt. Maya Vinayan and Cine Fame Shri Vineeth.
Shobitha shows keen interest in learning from workshops and seminars. She is a life member of ABHAI and has participated in the summer workshops conducted by this organization. She has also participated in the 3day workshop -Natya Sangraham conducted by Natyarangam Dance Wing of Narada Gana Sabha Trust.
Over the years, Bharatanatyam has become the basic essence and spirit in Shobitha's life and her passion for distinction, is quite visibly established in her sincere efforts to pursue this dance form with utmost care, reverence and dedication. Shobitha has completed her Master of Fine Arts in Bharatanatyam from Kalai Kaviri College of Fine Arts, affiliated to the Bharathidasan University. She is also undergoing training in the nuances of Nattuvangam from the Nattuvangam maestro Bhagavatula Seetarama Sarma. She has also had special training in the Folk dances of India from her Guru Gayathri.
A post graduate in MBA (Finance) from SSN school of management, Shobitha worked in a Multi National Company as an Associate Manager.
Teaching Experience - Conducts classes at her residence apart from assisting her teacher Smt. Gayathri in conducting classes at Krishnanjali Performing group.
Conducted classes at 'Chathur Lakshana' dance school run by Smt. Radhika Vairavelavan.
Her passion for dance is evident in her effective time management and striking balance between dance and work life. She also excels in Carnatic Vocal and light music and has won many competitions in the same.
Arangetram at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan 2001
Sri Varasiddhi Vinayakar Temple, Besant Nagar 2004
VDS Arts Academy -2005
Guest performance for 'Thaka Dhimi Tha -Winner Episodes' hosted by Jaya TV -2011
- Rukmani Dheergadarshini -1997, 2003
- Ananta Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Adyar -2002
- International Dance Alliance -2003, 2009
- Muthamizh Mandram, Coimbatore -2003
- Vasantha Uthsavam at Sri Marundeeswarar Temple, Chennai (2003 -2010)
- Margazhi Bala Utsavam conducted by Sri Sumukhu Rajasekharan Foundation -2004
- C.P. Ramaswamy Foundation -2004
- Nandha Dhwani Art Festival -2004
- MylaporeFestival hosted by SundaramFinance -2005
- Ayigiri Nandhini (A ballet on incarnations of Goddess Parvathi) -2005
- Perur Natyanjali Festival -2006
- Sivarathiri Festival Sivagangai -2006
- Chidambaram Natyanjali -2007
- Aran Aadal (Dance Drama) -2008
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Coimbatore Kendra Dance Festival -2008
'Kalaiyum Kalviyum' State Level Conference of Tamil Nadu Government College Teachers Association -2009
Krishnanjali Annual Functions conducted by the school as a tribute to Guru Smt.Krishnaveni Lakshmanan since 2004
Annual convention at Theosophical Society, Adyar
- Madam Blavatsk
- Dr. Annie Besan
- Henry Steel Oleot
- Ahimsashraya Asho
- Din -i-llahi Akbhar
Performances with other renowned artists:
- Along with Radhika Shurajit for Konjum Salangai, A Dance Tribute to the legendary poet Kannadasan -(2005 -2011) and Muthamizh Maalai, celebration of Tamil in 2011
- Along with Cine Fame Shri Vineeth for Charity show held in Dubai 2006 and FilmFare Award Funtion2006
- Along with ARADHANA dance school for Medical Conferences at Vellore since 2003, Programs for the Defense department at Chennai and Tiruvilayadal a dance production on Lord Muruga and many other corporate and variety shows
- Kerala Samaj conference in Aug 2010 along with Maaya Vinayan
- Aiyigiri Nandhini' Commendable group work -The Hindu, Jan 28, 2005.
- The dancers Shobitha, Vidya, Lavanya and Sindhuja made their mentor proud by their neat renderings and group coordination".
- Aran Aadal - Of five elements and life forms -The Hindu, Feb 8, 2008.
- The churning of the ocean as well as the fight with the Daruka sages in the Samhaara Tandava' segments were wonderfully colorful and absorbing. The evolution of man were particularly arresting as they used the dynamics of a group to add depth. More such group numbers would be welcome. The talented dancers of Krishnanjali were Shobitha, Vidya, Lavanya, Sindhuja and others.
- IDA Festival 2009 - Diverse Styles, one theme -The Hindu, Aug 21, 2009.
- Perhaps the only group which convincingly fused recorded music, fast rhythm and spirited dancing to recreate the aura of the Divine was that of Gayathri Balagurunathan, Shobitha, Sindhuja, Vidyalakshmi, Lavanya. They staged a slick and lively performance.
- Photo of the day 'Splendid Trinity' -Times of India, Jan 5, 2011.
- A photo featuring Shobitha during the Muthamizh malai concert along with two other dancers from Krishnanjali for enthralling the audience at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan.
H 3/4, Kaveri Apartments,
Lattice Bridge Road, Indra Nagar,
Adyar, Chennai - 600020, India
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgAwards & Recognitions
A Recognition Award, from Sri Sumukhi Rajasekharan Memorial Foundation in appreciation of commendable talents in Bharatanatyam -2011
from Krishnanjali Academy of performing Arts for exceptional services to the academy -2010
in Doordarshan Kendra
A Bharatanatyam competition hosted by Jaya TV -2002
conducted by the Sri Sumukhi Rajasekharan Memorial Foundation during the Balar Chithirai Kalai Vizha 2005