Carnatic Vocalist, Tamil Nadu, India
Saashwathi belongs to a family which has its roots deep in Indian arts. Her grandfather is the renowned personality Late Sri. R. Yagnaraman, who was the legendary Genaral Secretary of Sri Krishna Gana Sabha for over the last 50 years, and is the daughter of Mr. Y. Prabhu, Current General Secretary of Krishna Gana Sabha. She is also a committee member of Sri Krishna Gana Sabha.
Saashwathi’s family is deep into the cultural arts especially music and dance. Her gandmother Sri. Rukmini Yagnaraman was very good at playing the veena and was a AIR artist when she was young. Saashwathi’s mother Lakshmi Prabhu was a dancer who had given performances in her younger days. Saashwathi’s father Y.Prabhu is also a very good singer, but due to career pressure, could not take up music as his profession.
Saashwathi has a deep passion to create music since the age of 13 when she did her first composition on behalf of PSBBSchoolfor Bharathbala’s’ Vande Mataram for India’s 50th year ofIndependence. Since then she has composed many numbers and her major focus is on classical based fusion. Creating music is an expression of the soul according to Saashwathi’s experience.
Saashwathi’s passion is to explore Classical music with a touch of fusion so that she is able to present classical music in a modern outfit, and yet without diluting the essence of its deep traditional roots and structure, and most significantly, enhancing the spiritual/devotional essence and nature of Classical music without compromising on the divinity aspect.
In her albums, she has worked with many leading and established artists such as Carnatic Vocalist Bombay Jayashree Ramnath, Playback singer Karthik,
Playback singer & Bass guitarist Aalap Raju, Violinist Padma Shankar & Guitarist Donan.
- Has composed, arranged, produced music & sung for her recently released albums on:
- 1. Relaxation music - JUST BLISS (Geethanjali audio & Universal Music, USA)
- A classical based fusion album with only ragas and swaras MYSTIC JOURNEY (Geethanjali Audio)
- Sacred Hindu chants - SPIRITUAL TRANSCENDENCE , VEDIC MANTRAS & SACRED CHANTS (Felmay Prouctions, ITALY & Geethanjali Audio)
- An instrumental fusion and meditative music labeled SPA LOUNGE (Geethanjali Audio)
- Fusion album SAASHWATHAM, fusing Indian classical music concepts with western instrumentation, produced by AGI MUSIC, Malaysia.
- Has composed music for a 2-minute Ad film project through PSBB school titled Vande Mataram for the 50th year of Independence in India under Bharathbala productions.
- Has also composed music for Advertisements for GMT jewelers in Singapore.
- Has her own light music band named ESENCIA, in which she is a drummer cum singer.
- She is working on a devotional album wherein she is composing music for selected Pasurams from the 4000 DivyaPrabandams.
- Currently working on a Lullaby Album
- Currently working on a Classical based fusion album of Kritis in praise of the Divine Mother composed by the Great saints. The kritis are ornamented with western instrumentation without diluting the devotional/spiritual essence of the songs sung on the Goddess.
B.Sc (Psychology) SIET Women's College, Chennai
M.Sc.(Psychology- Counselling & Guidance), SIET Womens College, Chennai
Apart from being a musician, Saashwathi is now a practicing psychological counselor in Chennai working with Ms. Brinda Jayaraman, a leading counselor in Chennai, Proprietor of Anchor Self-Help Access (ASHA).Shows & Major Performances
Saashwathi is under the tutelage of Violin Maestro Sri Lalgudi G. Jayaraman and has given Sola performances in the following institutions since the year 2000:
- Sri Shanmuganana Sabha - Mumbai
- SriKrishnaGana Sabha –Chennai
- Karthik Fine arts-Chennai
- Mylapore Fine Arts- Chennai
- Naada Inbam -Chennai
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan-Chennai
- Narada Gaana Sabha-Chennai
- TTD Centre – Chennai
- Fifty-Fifty Music Club-Chennai
- Rukmini fine arts-Chennai
- Nadopasana- Chennai
- Asthika Samajam (Thiruvanmiyur) -Chennai
- Nandalala Seva Samithi trust - Chennai
- Nayaki – Chennai
- Nadhavinodhini fine arts, Kasi Viswanathar temple – Chennai
- Cleveland Thyagaraja festivalUSA
She has performed in “Geetham Madhuram”, a group concert featuring M.S.Subbulakshmi Hits conceived by Utsav Music (Churchill Pandian production)
- Was the Voice Trainer for “Adhiradi Singer” in Sun TV
- Has been the anchor for a breakfast show, Kaalai Malar, In Jaya TV.
- Has sung/participated in a recently released DVD of Lalgudi G. Jayaraman’s, Pada Varnams
- Has been interviewd as a Special Guest for Navarathri Celebrations in Jaya TV’s Kaalai Malar 2011
- Has given Solo concerts on Vijay Tv, Sun Tv, Makkal Tv & Mega Tv
No. 32, IInd Main Road,
Chennai - 600085
E mail: email@example.com