Carnatic Vocalist, Tamil Nadu, India
Born into a family of musicians with rich lineage and steeped in pedigree music, Bombay Jayashri Ramnath represents the fourth generation of music practitioners in her family. Jayashri has been groomed under the guidance of the legend Shri Lalgudi G Jayaraman and Smt T R Balamani. Jayashri, today not only bears the torch of the Lalgudi tradition, but has also evolved a distinct style of her own.
With a career extending over two decades, Jayashri is today among the most sought after Carnatic musicians. The myriad aficionados, spanning generations, that throng her concerts would bear ample testimony to this.
Her training in Hindustani Classical system has further helped her in this musical odyssey. Her researches into music are unending, and besides her musical performances, she continues to deliver workshops all over the world on the subject of World Music. Her contribution and involvement with schools where she has conducted workshops and interactive sessions to kindle interest amongst school children into our rich tradition of music is her way of giving back something of what she has gained. Her very limited foray into film music has won her the Flimfare award for the popular 'Vaseegara' that has drawn a new class of listeners into the world of classical music.
In addition to her musical achievements, she has co-authored the book ‘Voices Within’, and created history by being featured in the first full length Carnatic music film ‘Margazhi Ragam’ along with Sri TM Krishna. She is actively involved in Svanubhava - a six-day Music Festival, exclusively for the students of Music conducted annually
The notable among them are
- Was conferred the KALAIMAMANI VIRUDHU by the Government of Tamil Nadu, 2007.
- Honoured SHANMUKHA SANGEETHA SHIROMANI by Shanmukhananda Sabha, Bombay. Conferred by S M Krishna, Governor of Maharashtra, 2006.
- Awarded M S SUBBALAKSHMI PURASKAR by Vishaka Music Academy, Vishakapatnam. Conferred By Shri Nedunuri Krishnamurthy, 2006.
- Received the prestigious SANGEETHA CHOODAMANI AWARD from Dr. A C Muthiah from Sri Krishna Gana Sabha in the presence of her Guru Shri. Lalgudi G Jayaraman, 2005.
- Was conferred the title of ATMA VANISHRI from Poojya Shri Shantananda Swami of the Temple of Fine Arts at Varanasi, in the presence Tabla Maestro, Pt. Kishan Maharaj, 2003
- Was conferred the title of NAADABHOOSHANAM by Shanmukhananda Sangeetha Sabha, New Delhi, 2001.
- Was declared as ASTHANA VIDHUSHI of the Shringeri Mutt by the Mahasannidhanam, 2001.
- Was conferred the title of ISAI PEROLI by Dr. P Chidambaram, Union Minister of Finance, on behalf of the Karthik Fine Arts, in the presence of Music Maestro Balamurali Krishna, 1997.
- Title of YUVA KALA BHARATI conferred by Bharat Kalachar, Chennai, 1992.
Prestigious Performances other than half a dozen charity concerts for the benefit of mentally challenged, sick and the less previleged communities.
2004 Rendered Jana Gana Mana in a sloka style on the day of the dedication of the Rajiv Gandhi memorial in the presence of Sonia, Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi.
1999 Performed in the prestigious Queen Elizabeth Hall, London
- Festival of Asian Performing Arts, Singapore
- Festival of Music in Helsinki, Finland
- Festival of Sacred Voices in Lausanne, Switzerland
- Thyagaraja Festival, Cleveland
- Temple of Fine Arts, Global
- World Music Institute, New York
- Casa da Musica a Porto, Portugal
- Musee des Asiatiques, France
- Citi de la Musique, Paris
- Sala de Camera, Spain
- Museum of Sculpture and Arts, UK
- Theatre De La Ville, Paris